Family, Friends, and our furred and feathered companions

Monday, January 15, 2007

Wobbly Kittens

These are the "Wobbly Kittens", 3 siblings abandoned outside of BARC shelter in Brooklyn. They have a condition called Cerebellar Hypoplasia, where the part of their brain that controls motor skills and balance are under developed, and depending on the severity they may have a slight "wobble" or have difficulty getting up at all.

"Jello" (one on the bottom) is now the littest member of my family. (Her siblings have also found wonderful homes!) It was totally unexpected, we already had 5 cats, not to mention various other pets, and had no intention of adding another. But then again, sometimes life simply happens when you least expect it.

My sister was actually the one looking for a kitten, and that Saturday morning we had already gone to the Brooklyn AC&C where we met an adorable kitten named "Tom", who was already put on hold by a rescue (that's a whole another story, should be told by my sister). Disappointed and discouraged, we searched online hoping to find another place that might have kittens and found BARC near by. And that's where we met Jello and her sister Dizzy.

I don't know how anyone could've resisted this tiny little girl who could barely get her feet under her. She was falling all over the place, but she was also purring non stop in my arms and I just fell in love instantly. I went home and read about CH until the wee hours of the night, but I must admit I had a little bit of doubt even right up until the moment I went into the shelter and saw her again. No need to say that the second I saw her again I no longer had any doubts.

Despite how some people feel about her "disabilities" (I've already heard some terrible things, which I'll leave for another day), the only real problem I'm having with her is with potty training. She's smart as a whip and very tidy, but since she is terribly limited with coordination it is difficult for her to get to the paper to relieve herself, or once she does get out of it without soiling herself. I'm not sure if this is something we'll be able to solve completely, but I'm sure we'll be able to work through it somehow.

She has a wonderfully cheerful personality and it's truly amazing to see her totally unaware of her limitations. As far as she's concerned falling over is just a part of life and if she has to fall 10 times to get to the other side of the room then that's just how it'll be. Besides, if she really gets tired and doesn't want to try anymore, then she can always do her sad little meow with her huge green eyes, and mommy will come running in to scoop her up and bring her to wherever she wants :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a kitten with this same disorder. We named her Wobbles. She was born on January 9th 2008. She's 7 months old now. There were 7 kittens in her litter. One died at birth. The other 5 we found good homes for. A couple of the others had signs of this disorder, but Wobbles is the only one that had it to such a large degree. After her mommie weened her, she still could not drink or eat on her own. I had to syringe feed her until she was about 4 or 5 months old. The first time I saw her hold her own head over the water bowl without dunking her entire head into it, I almost cried. I was so proud of her. Wobble has been a joy to take care of. She sounds so much like your kitten. Wobbles is full of energy and loves to play. Nothing stops her. She's learned to walk with her feet spread far apart, and she will lean against walls to keep her balance. She still falls over when she gets too excited, and her aim is off at times, but she's come a long way. People that see her for the first time pitty her, but they don't understand what an amazing little girl she is. I look forward to watching grow up and live a happy healthy life with me and my boyfriend Josh.

Kindest Regards,
Sandra Taylor

annenurmix@yahoo.com

August 15, 2008 at 8:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home